In my first article I discussed ways to improve your overall presence online.
This is the 2nd in the series and covers how to drive more traffic to your website, and what to do before you get more visitors. Remember, it’s not an ‘if you build it they will come’ project. It takes work.
Driving traffic to your website is a rather elusive task if you don’t have the right help or information guiding you along your path. Imagine your in-laws are coming into town and you want to have everything perfect for their visit. What are the things that go through your mind? You have the yard and landscaping done, you make sure the house is spotless, and you may even straighten up the garage. It’s the same principle for your website. You want to make sure your house (your homepage and website) are in order before visitors come. And once you have visitors, the most important thing to consider is what call to action do you want to be front and center. You must make it easy for them to know what the next step is, and how to contact you.
So how do you get more unique visitors to visit your site and stay there longer than 2 seconds? Well we have 5 tips to show you how, based on our research and measurements, and a little trial and error.
- Utilize Keywords and SEO – Most people don’t even know what SEO means (Search Engine Optimization), much less how to utilize it properly. If you don’t, you should visit a local college or university and go to a seminar or speak to one of the professors. You can do online research, or hire an expert to help you, but the bottom line is you have to use it! So how will people find you among the trillions of other websites if you don’t know the right key words to use? And how do you even know what people are typing in when searching for you? See the next tip.
- Use Google Analytics – You should already be using this one, but you may not know the gold mine you’re looking at until someone shows you all the inner workings of it. Once you know what people are using to find you (smart phone or device) and what words they are typing in (these will be your keywords), you are much more equipped to give them exactly what they’re looking for. You would be surprised what people type these days, especially if they’re using Google and it auto-corrects their spelling. For example, we thought resume was going to be the biggest search term for a company recently, but it wasn’t – it was curriculum vitae. I couldn’t believe people even knew that word anymore! So, once you have this information then what do you do? See #3.
- Litter your homepage – Litter? Yes, litter. Put those key words you discovered all over your homepage so that when people are searching for those things, you will pop up on the search engine pages higher than if you hadn’t. Just make sure the words are still what you want your company or brand to portray, otherwise you’re just misleading people and taking them on a wild goose chase, and that’s not really nice. But this is a good way to prevent just throwing random darts at what you think or assume people want to know about.
- Go mobile – If you discover that a lot of people are using their smart phones or devices to look you up, you need to get a mobile site, or make sure your site is mobile-friendly. You know how when you’re trying to find a contact number for someone via their website and it’s nearly impossible because you’re zooming and scrolling and can’t see it on your phone? Yeah, that’s annoying. So why on earth would you do the same thing to your customers? Make it easy to find your website, and easy to view – from anywhere, and any device!
- Seek help – If you would rather leave all of this to someone else because either A.) You’re too busy and don’t have time, or B.) It sounds like a lot of work, then you should just ask for help. It’s OK; it’s not like asking for directions, more like handing the steering wheel over. We would be glad to give you a consultation, show you measurement tools and results from our websites and other clients, and explain what our technical experts can do for you. We do everything mentioned above and can help you today.
Contact us now for a consultation – 501-255-7751.
Remember – Building a website and driving traffic to it takes work, but with the right tools and information from CEG Partners, we can help you drive more traffic to your website without the hassle of starting over from scratch.